A Travellerspoint blog

Machines have feelings too

TomTom must be obeyed!

rain 17 °C

After a quick trip to the post office to send off about 8kgs of booklets, postcards etc (not a cheap undertaking), we took a quick walk down the high street of Dorchester in case there was something we had missed when last shopping (which there was!). We then took a leisurely trip across the countryside, headed for Poole and ultimately a destination just north of Bournemouth. After leaving the motorway due to heavy traffic and taking a quick trip through the cute village of Bere Regis, we reached Wareham. This is yet another historic market town (just about every town seems to have that on their welcome sign!). As there was no easy parking there, we decided to head to Lytchett Minster (a famiily history town for me). We plugged in our destination on TomTom and started to follow the verbal directions, until we saw a sign for another town we wanted to visit (in the opposite direction to our destination). Well, TomTom got a little upset with this and repeatedly tolf us to turn around when possible. We did not follow orders and found somewhere to park in the town of Corfe Castle, had lunch and walked around for the 1 hour parking we had managed to find.

When we hit the road again and headed for Lytchett Minster for real, TomTom decided that we needed punishing for not following orders to our last destination. So, she did not voice any directions the whole trip. We just had to follow what was on screen and hope we had it right. We tried switching voice commands off and on. No change. We tried switching TomTom off and on. No change. We tried apologising to TomTom. No change. Clearly, we had really upset it by not following instructions!

We made it to both Lytchett Minster and then into Poole where we took a walk of the old town, where once again, my ancestors would have walked the same roads in the last 400 years as well. It rained a bit unfortunately as we were doing the walk but I still managed to
get a lot of pic's. We also came across a wedding at the registry office between a burgundy dressed woman with a lot of tattoos (and two young children) and her husband also had quote a few tattoos. Most of the them retired to the pub across the road for celebratory drinks.

Having finished our walking tour and with the rain threatening yet again, we headed off to Dawn's aunt's place in Ferndown (just north of Bournemouth).

We were treated to yet another fabulous meal and I got to pat their cat Simba (a Birman). Sorry Tilly and Bailey but I was suffering from cat withdrawal, so any cat would do. He was a beautiful one though (Till and Bailey, close your ears!).

The next day dawned rainy and cool. Dawn's aunt and uncle took us around the local area. We started at Christchurch Priory. We just had enough time to go around before they closed the church for a wedding. We therefore got to hear the choir rehearsing the hymns and also the pealing of the church bells, which were wonderful. After a quick walk around the carnival that was on that day, we then headed for nearby Highcliffe Castle. Once again, there was a wedding on, this time the bride arrived in a horse drawn carriage, just making inside before the heavens opened up again and drenched the ground. We had a cream tea in the cafe there then took a walk down to the neach (another stony one) where we could see the Isle of Wight in the distance.

Last port of call for the day was the little town of Burley in the New Forest. Horses are allowed to graze the forest land and are rounded up once a year. As such, they roam the side of the road (most houses have a cattle grid to prevent them from entering their yards). We saw a few horses out in the car parks, some wild, some with brands on them. Once again the weather closed in and pelted with rain. So after an ice cream, we headed back home. We quickly visited Dawn's other aunt and uncle in their new apartment before dinner, then it was time for farewell's as Dawn was leaving the next morning as I headed off to Chichester.

Today I visited Fishbourne Palace, an ancient Roman huge villa (the largest in Britain) dating back to about 70 AD, not long after the Romans came to Britain. There were some amazing mosaic tiled floors and they had reinstated hedges in the garden to the way they had them upon initial excavation. I then headed to Arundel Castle, which was very busy but thankfully the trip back to the hotel just out of Chichester was not as busy. The hire car goes back tomorrow afternoon and then I head to Budapest the next day. Not long before I head for home again.

Posted by burgeea 10:14 Archived in England

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint